Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Know Thyself

Anglachel, Historiann, and others have been having a grand old time playing around with the various blog analysis sites out there. I got a kick out of them myself, and I thought I'd share the results.

According to GenderAnalyzer's reading of this site, there's a 77% chance I'm a man. I don't know why I should be seen as less masculine than Anglachel, whom the site says has an 80% chance of being male. However, her writing feminist polemics doesn't seem have any impact on her score. Subjecting my topic-day URLs to the analysis shows that the least masculine writing on this site comes from the movie reviews and the poetry essays. Why the writing there is any less masculine than the philosophy discussion pieces, which the analysis says is by far the manliest writing on the blog, I'll never know.

Typealyzer looks at the blog in toto and says I'm an INTP type, or a "Thinker." When submitted individually, all but two of the topic-day URLs say the same thing. Here's the description:

The logical and analytical type. They are especialy attuned to difficult creative and intellectual challenges and always look for something more complex to dig into. They are great at finding subtle connections between things and imagine far-reaching implications.

They enjoy working with complex things using a lot of concepts and imaginative models of reality. Since they are not very good at seeing and understanding the needs of other people, they might come across as arrogant, impatient and insensitive to people that need some time to understand what they are talking about.
However, the Music Monday feature is produced by an "ISFP" type, or an "Artist," described as:

The gentle and compassionate type. They are especially attuned their inner values and what other people need. They are not friends of many words and tend to take the worries of the world on their shoulders. They tend to follow the path of least resistance and have to look out not to be taken advantage of.

They often prefer working quietly, behind the scene as a part of a team. They tend to value their friends and family above what they do for a living.
The FCLA Friday feature, on the other hand, marks me as an ISTP type, or a "Mechanic." Here's the lowdown on this group:

The independent and problem-solving type. They are especially attuned to the demands of the moment are masters of responding to challenges that arise spontaneously. They generelly prefer to think things out for themselves and often avoid inter-personal conflicts.

The Mechanics enjoy working together with other independent and highly skilled people and often like seek fun and action both in their work and personal life. They enjoy adventure and risk such as in driving race cars or working as policemen and firefighters.
I don't know why writing about Cormac McCarthy, Philip Guston, Ian McEwan, Bob Peak, and Goethe makes one more of a "fun and action" type than somebody who focuses on Alan Moore, Plato and Aristotle, and Dante and Petrarch, but I'm sure there's an explanation somewhere. Like Whitman, I must contain multitudes.

Then there's the Blog Readability Test. Apparently, this blog is written at a postgraduate college level. That sort of worries me, because I want to say what I have to say in a way that's accessible to people, but it's good to know that one can write about comic books and come off as legitimately scholarly.

Out of curiosity, I decided to submit some outside sites to this test. Here are the results:
There are some shockers there. I mean, the Daily Kos is written at a higher intellectual level than The New Yorker or Historiann? Are they kidding? However, I do think they pegged John Aravosis just right. I'm assuming a "Nursery school" option wasn't available.

Finally, the Business Opportunities site analysis says Pol Culture, as of today, is worth a grand total of $2,822.70. If anyone wants to send me a check, everything here is all yours.

No comments: